The "Muravey" shopping centre and the "Rossiya" cinema in Zarechka (panorama)

Leninsky District of Nizhny Novgorod is a predominantly industrial district in the Zarechka (low-bank) part of Nizhny Novgorod, stretching from the Oka River toward Sormovo District.

Leninsky District is one of the largest industrial districts of Nizhny Novgorod: its territory is home to 18 large and medium-sized industrial enterprises employing around 10,000 people.

Nature of the District

The economic backbone of the district consists of 140 large and medium-sized enterprises in manufacturing, science, communications, transport, construction, housing and utilities, trade, and logistics. A significant share of these enterprises serves the needs of the military-industrial complex of the Russian Federation.

The products manufactured by the district's enterprises are well known not only in Russia, but also abroad.

Among the major manufacturing and research-and-production enterprises are: JSC PKO "Teploobmennik", JSC "Zavod Krasnaya Etna", JSC "RUMO", Federal State Unitary Enterprise NPP "Polyot", LLC "Zefs-energo", LLC "Nizhegorodsky Dom i K", the "Volga" branch of LLC "Ob"yedinennye pivovarni Heineken", LLC "Coca-Cola HBC Eurasia", LLC "Zavod shtampov i press-form", and others.

History of the District

The district was established on 21 February 1935.

At the beginning of the 20th century this territory was an industrial outskirt of Nizhny Novgorod. It was home to the settlements of Molitovka, Borzovka, Karpovka, and The village of Kavkaz.

The surrounding area was largely uninhabited land, known since medieval times as Strelitskiy Stan.

In the early 17th century there was already a small settlement here called Molitovka, owned by a nobleman named Solovtsev. Legend has it that even earlier, there was a cemetery here, including graves of barge haulers (burlaki) who had died along the way. And those burlaki, the legend goes, would cross themselves and pray as they passed the graves of their fallen companions, following the customs of the time. By the late 17th century, Molitovka had 52 households and a population of 327 souls.

The residents of Molitovka were engaged in farming. They grew grain, flax, carrots, peas, and beets. At the same time they pursued various crafts: making birch-bark and wooden utensils, weaving bast shoes from lime-tree bark. Many women did needlework, spun flax, and wove linen cloth for their own use and for sale. They also learned to make bricks — for themselves and for the market. (Incidentally, for a long time one of the stops on tram route No. 3 was called "Kirpichiki" ("Little Bricks") — it is now known as "Perovskaya".)

The ancient forests that once covered our district are recalled in another old place name — Borzovka. Originally it was a remote, wooded spot where landowners came to train their borzoi hounds for the hunt. And where Karpovka now stands, there were once many flood-plain lakes teeming with large carp — which is precisely why the place came to be called "Karpovka."

The Kavkaz settlement appeared at the end of the 19th century. As for the origin of this name: in olden times, a major road ran along the left bank of the Oka from its very mouth, along which merchant convoys made their way. Bandits would sometimes emerge from behind the hillocks and rob the passing merchants. In the thieves' argot of the time, the word for "to rob" was "khapat'", and "loot" or "booty" was called "khaza" or "kaza". Years passed, the brigands disappeared, and peaceful people settled in the former haunt of the outlaws. The memory of the old robbers lingered on, however, and from the combination of the criminal slang words "khapat'" and "khaza", the settlement came to be called "khapkaz". More years went by, and for the sake of a more pleasing sound, it became known as Kavkaz.

Time passes slowly, yet life on the far side of the Oka is ever changing. In the early 19th century, three factories were established in Borzovka: a steel foundry, an iron foundry, and a nail works. In Molitovka there were two rope factories, housed in two wooden sheds that were old and filthy. In 1897–98, a weaving mill was built on the left bank of the Oka at the edge of the village of Molitovka. It was constructed by merchant millers: Bashkirov, Blinov, and Bugrov.

The linen-weaving mill produced sacking. At the time of its opening it employed 39 people (1898), and by 1901 the workforce had grown to 1,322. Women made up half of the workers. Child labour was widespread. Wages were meagre, and a large share of them was eaten up by fines.

The District Today

The modern Leninsky District is a relatively well-kept and quiet place with plenty of spots to relax. It has Dubki Park — a small and not particularly clean park, but perfectly fine for a stroll. Nearby (one metro stop away) is the Russia Cinema. An excellent venue: you can play video games, sit in the bar, and of course watch a film — with a great auditorium, superb picture, and great sound. From Leninsky District you can reach any part of the city without transfers or hassle. All in all, a good place to be. Alongside modern buildings, Leninsky District also has structures dating from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Streets of Leninsky District

District Culture

Local Heroes of the Great Patriotic War

Websites

See also