Karpovskaya Church

The Transfiguration of the Saviour Church (Karpovka) — a major Orthodox church in Nizhny Novgorod, part of Deanery District I of the Nizhny Novgorod and Arzamas Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Interior of Karpovskaya Church

Altar Throne

Main — in honour of the Transfiguration of the Lord; Side chapel — in honour of St. Nicholas, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia, Wonderworker.

Feast days:

19 August — Transfiguration of the Lord; 19 December, 22 May — commemoration of St. Nicholas, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia, Wonderworker.

Icons

Icons of the Mother of God:

  • "Kazan";
  • "Pochaev";
  • "Burning Bush";
  • "Joy of All Who Sorrow";
  • "Vladimir";
  • "Iveron";
  • "Tikhvin";
  • "Sign";
  • "Three-Handed";
  • "Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos".

Origins

The Transfiguration of the Saviour Church was once the parish church of the selo (village) of Karpovka, which lay along the road to the Nizhny Novgorod Makaryev Yarmarka. In the 20th century the church was absorbed into the city boundaries.

The church building was constructed to a design by architect Ivan Ivanovich Mezhetsky and later rebuilt to a design by Robert Yakovlevich Kilevein. The present church building was consecrated in 1817.

History in Detail

The site on which the church eventually stood has quite ancient roots. As early as the 14th century, a farmstead called Karpovka was established in the Strelitskiy Stan of Zaochye (Trans-Oka area), preserving in its name that of its first settler — a beekeeper named Karp. In the 16th century the village of Karpovka was listed among the old state beekeeping settlements of the Nizhny Novgorod region.

A wooden church was ordered built by Nizhny Novgorod Bishop Pitirim (1719–1738) in 1722. The wooden Karpovskaya Church burned down several times, and Nizhny Novgorod Bishop Moisey (1811–1825) proposed that the villagers erect a more imposing stone church.

It was built to a design by provincial architect Ivan Ivanovich Mezhetsky in the early 19th century in the Neoclassical style. The new church was consecrated in 1817 by Bishop Moisey of Nizhny Novgorod in honour of the Transfiguration of the Lord.

In 1838 a parish school was opened at the church, where two teachers together instructed the local children. They taught literacy and arithmetic, sacred history, and the Law of God.

In the second half of the 19th century, Karpovskaya Church was rebuilt by architect Robert Yakovlevich Kilevein, as the church was the only one in the entire area and could not accommodate all worshippers on feast days.

During construction the church was altered: instead of a single dome it received five domes, and the second-floor windows of the refectory were given decorative surrounds with triangular pediments rising above the roof cornice.

In the early 20th century the church was painted in oils. The paintings have survived to the present day. During the Soviet period the church remained active. Educational Activities

A Sunday school operates at the church.

Service Schedule

Daily at 7:30 — Liturgy; on Sundays and feast days at 5:30 — early Liturgy, at 8:30 — late Liturgy; evening service at 16:00.

Contact Information

Address

Public transport to the stop "Karpovskaya Tserkov" (Karpovskaya Church).

Phone Numbers

  • 258-04-15 (rector); 258-34-77, 258-52-75; fax 258-03-13.

Website

See Also