Historical photographs of Alekseevskaya Street, taken by Nizhny Novgorod photographer M. P. Dmitriev between 1890 and 1916, have survived and are available in photo archives.[1]
Alekseevskaya Street (Dzerzhinskogo) — one of the central streets of Nizhny Novgorod. Oriented toward the Dmitrievskaya Tower of the stone The Kremlin. It runs from Minin Square to Zvezdinka Street.
History
It first appeared on the 1770 city plan, but was actually cut through only during the General Land Survey of Nizhny Novgorod in 1784-1787. It was named after the church of Alexius the Metropolitan, which stood on Blagoveshchenskaya Square (built in 1642, rebuilt in 1717 and 1825, not preserved).
It was consecrated in honor of a prominent church-political figure of Ancient Rus, tutor and mentor of Dmitry Donskoy, who visited N. Novgorod repeatedly in the 14th century.
The street stretched past the Mytny Market and Black Pond (the Black Pond). From the end of the 18th century, almost two blocks in the middle of the street were occupied by the estate and garden of Prince G.A. Gruzinsky. During the town-planning reorganization of N. Novgorod in 1823-1824, the street's building lines were refined, and a passage was cut through from B. Pokrovskaya to the Gruzinsky garden — the Kholodny Lane (already planned back in 1799). The street was built up especially actively under the city plans of 1834-1839. Blagoveshchenskaya (Annunciation) and Verkhnebazarnaya (Upper Market) squares.
See also
Sources
- pro-nn.org — historical photographs of Nizhny Novgorod — Historical photographs of Alekseevskaya Street, taken by Nizhny Novgorod photographer M. P. Dmitriev between 1890 and 1916, have survived and… (archive)