A grey panorama of empty Osharka

Osharskaya Street, commonly known as Oshara — a street stretching from the Historic Center toward Sovetskaya Square.

It crosses Gorky Street near Freedom Square, and Belinsky Street near the Opera Theatre.

Background

The street, which ran directly from Black Pond to an out-of-town tavern known as "Oshara" and to brick factories, was designed by surveyor F. N. Belokopytov in 1799 on the site of the already partially filled-in Kovalikhinsky Ravine, in order to cut through the blocks lying between Varvarskaya Street and Alekseevskaya Street streets of Nizhny Novgorod that extended from the Osyp embankment. At its intersection with Voznesenskaya (Dvoryanskaya, Oktyabrskaya Street) Street, a square was planned. However, a square already existed nearby at the Varvarskaya Church, and so it was abandoned during the urban development reforms of 1834–1839. Instead, Osharskaya Street itself was extended beyond the outlying Polevaya Street (past the Edinoverie cemetery on the left and the Vsesvyatskoye cemetery on the right).

See also