Blagoveschenskiy Muzhskoy Monastery, also known as Blagoveschensky Church — the first monastery of Nizhny Novgorod. Founded in 1221.
Its buildings were repeatedly devastated by enemy invasions, destroyed by fire, and rebuilt. The existing monastic ensemble took shape mainly in the second half of the 17th century and was supplemented in the 19th century.
It comprised five church buildings and three blocks of monastic living quarters, enclosed by a low stone wall.
History
The five-domed Blagoveschensky Cathedral of the monastery, which has survived to the present day, was built in 1648–1649 by an artel of monastic stonemasons under the direction of the cathedral elder Velyamin Cherstkin.
This church became the compositional centerpiece of the entire monastery.
The cathedral was built in the style of large six-pillar churches, but the western pair of pillars is absent from the interior. In their place is an enlarged span covered by a coved vault with lunettes. A gallery adjoins the western and northern walls of the cathedral. The lateral domes are helmet-shaped, while the central dome is onion-shaped — a rarity for the 17th century. The monastery library, which held a rich collection of manuscript books, was housed above the sacristy (the southern part of the altar). Originally the large dome was covered with green tiles and the others were clad in white sheet iron. During the restoration of the 1980s, all domes were sheathed in copper.
By a resolution of the NKVD for Nizhny Novgorod Governorate, the monastery was closed in 1921. It was reopened in 1993. Number of residents: 14. Superior: Hegumen Alexander (Lukin). A theological seminary is located on the monastery grounds. The monastery has 2 sketes and 2 metochions. One of the sketes — situated on the territory of a former military unit in Borsky District — houses a Center for Spiritual Rehabilitation of Drug Addicts.
Contact information
Address
603001, Nizhny Novgorod, Melnichniy Lane, 8.
Phone
Tel.: (831) 430-07-97