Kanavinsky Bridge (archaic Oksky Bridge) — the first permanent bridge across the Oka River located within Nizhny Novgorod. The bridge's original name was simply "Oksky."
It connects the upper, hill-side part of the city with the lower, trans-river part. It is one of two bridges in Nizhny Novgorod open to tram traffic.
Technical specifications
The bridge is 795.5 metres long and 24 metres wide. The riverbed is spanned by six arched metal spans with a calculated span of 121.0 m. One of the piers stands on the northern part of Grebnevskiye Peski Island, which separates Grebnevsky Canal (not to be confused with the Rowing Canal) from the main channel of the Oka. The pier of the Metro Bridge stands on the southern part of the island.
Two Nizhny Novgorod tram ran across the bridge. At present, tram service has been redirected to Molitovsky Bridge.
History
A pontoon bridge was in use until the permanent bridge was built. Built in 1930–1935. The bridge opened to traffic in May 1933. In 1968–1972 the bridge was reconstructed. Following an inspection in the autumn of 1995, the bridge's overall technical condition was deemed unsatisfactory.
A partial reconstruction of the bridge was carried out in 1995–1996.