Proviantskaya Street runs parallel to Semashko Street from the Verkhne-Volzhskaya Embankment to Izhorskaya Street.
History
The straight street, perpendicular to Zhukovskaya (Minin) and Bolshaya Pecherskaya streets, stretched from the Otkos to the bluffs of the Kovalikhinsky Ravine and was planned in 1770. Its building lines were established during the General Survey of the city's territory in 1784–1787, but development proceeded slowly, mainly from the early 19th century onward. For many years the vacant lots above the Kovalikha Ravine were occupied by the garrison's food warehouses and those of the Board of Public Welfare (serving hospitals, almshouses, and the nobility's gymnasium boarding house), which is why Nizhny Novgorod residents informally called the street Proviantskaya ("Provisions Street"). The name became official when the plan of Nizhny Novgorod was confirmed in 1839. At that time the street extended beyond the Kovalikha Ravine as far as the pond in front of the prison ostrog (as far as Freedom Square).