Nagornaya Street — climbs from the Nizhne-Volzhskaya Embankment up to Ilyinskaya Hill, merging with Bolshaya Ilyinskaya Street. In ancient times it served as the boundary of the Nizhniy Posad marketplace, forming its Zaryadye quarter.
The street was first laid out in straight lines along the hillside in the 1770 plan of N. Novgorod, but its boundaries were subsequently refined in all later city plans (most notably those of 1819 and 1823–1824). The blocks below Rozhdestvenskaya Street were defined by the 1839 plan of N. Novgorod and received the separate name of Zimnebazarnaya Street. By the 1840s, however, that name was abandoned, and the entire short street came to be known as Nagornaya.