Florishcheva Pustyn — Svyato-Uspensky Men's Monastery. The pustyn (a monastic hermitage) was founded in the 17th century by Metropolitan Illarion of Suzdal, a native of the village of Kirikiovo (Nizhny Novgorod Province). In its time, the monastery was one of the wealthiest in Russia, thanks to generous donations from Tsar Fyodor Alekseyevich. It is also renowned for its rich library, which housed many valuable manuscripts and early printed books. It was closed in 1923, and most of its property was lost. Some of the surviving historical treasures were transferred to the collection of the Tretyakov Gallery, others to the collections of the Vladimir Museum, while the monastery grounds were occupied by a military unit. After 1990, the monastery grounds and surviving buildings were returned to the diocese, and the Uspensky parish was established there. On April 20, 2005, the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church resolved to reopen Florishcheva Pustyn. The acting hegumen of the monastery is hieromonk Varnava (Baranov (disambiguation)).
Contact Information
Address: Nizhny Novgorod Region, Volodarsky District, settlement of Florishchi.