Vakhitov Lane (formerly Troitskiy) is one of the oldest lanes in the Upper Town of Nizhny Novgorod. It has been known since the early 17th century. The lane was named after the Trinity Church that stood near the Lower Posad market — first a wooden structure, and from 1663 a stone one, built at the expense of the posad resident Ivan Grigoryev son of Yazykov. The straight lane, oriented toward the church, was laid out in 1770 and its boundaries were refined in all subsequent regular plans of Nizhny Novgorod. Its final alignment was established by the plan of 1839. Several ancient stone chambers and commercial-industrial buildings have survived in the adjacent city blocks (the Salt Office, the chambers of the 18th-century military commander P. A. Rumyantsev-Zadunayskiy, and those of the Demidov mining magnates), though their appearance has been distorted by later renovations.