Nizhny Novgorod had two Church of St. Nicholas buildings, both destroyed:
- The Lower Posad St. Nicholas Church, originally built in 1371, burned down several times along with the entire Lower Posad. It stood on the site of the present-day glass-box House of Fashion at the end of Pochainský Descent (marked in green on the illustration). The Lower Posad St. Nicholas Church was demolished in 1929, its materials used in the construction of the House of Soviets (now the City Hall building).
- The Upper Posad St. Nicholas Church — on the site of the Location of the Moskva Hotel. It is mentioned in the cadastral charter of 1621; originally built of wood, after 1741 it was rebuilt in stone. The Upper Posad church was destroyed in 1932.