Ivan Yefimov was a Nizhny Novgorod architect of the first half of the 19th century who served as Provincial Architect. He is known primarily for his works on Rozhdestvenskaya Street, which shaped the character of the commercial and administrative center of Nizhny Novgorod during the period of intensive stone construction that followed 1824.

Activity

In 1822, commissioned by a first-guild merchant and town mayor, philanthropist Fyodor Petrovich Perepletchikov, Yefimov designed a modest two-story building with three wings on the even-numbered side at the beginning of Rozhdestvenskaya. The building subsequently passed to the city by Perepletchikov's will and became one of the centers of business and civic life.

In accordance with the Betancourt–Hesté plan of 1824, construction along Rozhdestvenskaya Street was carried out using stone buildings with formal street-facing façades. Yefimov, in his capacity as provincial architect, developed a distinctive type of two-story stone house with a mezzanine and a carriage passage into the courtyard; most such houses have survived virtually unchanged.

Sources

Based on materials from articles (2)

Municipal Society Tenement House, Former Salt Office Building on Rozhdestvenskaya Street