Gremyachy Lane is one of the oldest lanes in Nizhny Novgorod. It bore this name as early as the beginning of the 17th century, after the Gremyachaya River that ran down from the Dyatlov Hills. Following a series of severe fires in the mid-18th century, several new houses were built along its banks, including some of stone. The 1799 plan of Nizhny Novgorod envisioned reorganizing development in this part of the city into regular blocks. However, it was not until the plan confirmed in 1839 that the lane — and even then only as far as Rozhdestvenskaya Street — was laid out along straight building lines, retaining the old name of the river, which had by then been enclosed in a stone culvert.