Ambrosiyev Nikolayevskiy Dudin Monastery — located on the steep right bank of the Oka. A 2 km dirt road connects the monastery to the nearby village of Podyablonnoye.
History
The first mention of Dudin Monastery dates to 1408. According to some accounts, it was visited by the Venerable Sergius of Radonezh on his way from Nizhny Novgorod. In 1535, a bell tower was erected — the first stone structure on the site.
In the 1620s, the monastery comprised, in addition to the stone bell tower, three wooden churches: the hewn-log Uspensky Cathedral, the Church of St. Nicholas, and the Church of the Prophet Elijah on the bank of the Oka.
From 1676, by charter of Tsar Feodor Alekseyevich, the monastery was transferred to the jurisdiction of the Patriarch and became known as a Synodal domestic monastery. On 2 February 1677, by decree of Patriarch Joachim, the Uspensky Church was laid — the only one to have partially survived. In 1785, under Catherine II, the monastery was dissolved and became the parish church of the village of Podyablonnoye.
In the 1920s, the venerated miraculous icon of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker was lost. And in 1939, the parish was closed.
Points of Interest
As recently as 2004, an inscription reading "Ancestral Church of the Rurikids–Romanovs" was still displayed among the monastery's ruins.
Holy Springs
Two holy springs well up from beneath the hillside — one dedicated to St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and one to Sergius of Radonezh. The spring in the name of Sergius of Radonezh is already marked on a 17th-century plan.